Wednesday, September 15, 2004

EASTIES UPDATES XTRA: BAZZERDAY SHITE FEVER!!!

I Just thought I'd report back on the stage show of Saturday Night Fever - I took my boyfriend as a birthday "treat" and it has lots of EE crossover as 1) Kym "Bytch" Marsh (aka real life Bride of Jaymee) is in it playing drunken stalker loser
"Annette", and secondly BARRRYYYY is in it playing the seminal role of "DJ Monty" (or DJ C**ty, as I soon mentally christen him); a role so seminal that it doesn't actually exist in the original fillum and was invented especially to keep Bazrah in the public eye where he so clearly belongs.

The show itself is undemanding fun and is basically an excuse to horn as many BeeGees songs, sparkly lights and dance routines into two hours as possible. There are vague resemblances to the film: Tony (here played by a nasal young stud with hair like Silvio from the Sopranos and a wide selection of uber-gay high waisted dance slacks) works in a paint shop and enjoys disco dancing. A bloke commits
suicide after knocking up his girlfriend (and singing Tragedy - I think he actually killed himself because he had to sing it without doing the timeless Steps dance moves). It is set in New York (we can tell this because people keep saying things like "D'you wanna cup of cwoyfee" in really bad accents). There is racial tension and a "rumble" of some kind and plenty of dancing, which could even be described as "fevered". I should add that I was quite drunk when I went to see it, which probably helped too.

I was looking forward to thinking of mean things to say about Kyim but she is actually pretty good. She is probably the best singer in the whole thing and her acting and dancing were perfectly adequate. I was expecting her to be the main girl, as she is the most famous, and so was a bit confused when it ended and she still hadn't done the dance contest with Tony or copped off with him. Oh well.

Bazza/DJ C**ty is the compere of the disco contests. He wears a vile curly wig that makes him look like a Fast Show Scouser, stack heel shoes that make him mince around like a demented 1970's gaylord and a variety of retina searing, skin tight outfits. Whenever he sings or dances he pulls the same kind of horny sex bison faces he used to make whilst licking Juhnenn's disgusted face. His role consists of really
lame things like telling everyone to turn their phones off at the beginning and to get up and dance around for the lite-entertainment type disco medley at the end. Also he has a couple of lame non-comedy relief scenes where he plays (kill me now) a horny aerobics instructor who fondles ladies' lycra clad bosoms whilst making hilarious sex comedy faces. Why? For the love of God! Why? It took all my strength
of will not to shout "slip on shoes!!!" during any of his scenes. I think the producers had the concept of "vaguely repulsive, pitiful, comic relief" and instantly thought of ol' Bazzer. Surely it is only a matter of time before he is doing this kind of thing at the end of a pier. Preferably that one in Brighton that has burnt down/fallen into the sea/been ravaged by crazed seagulls etc.